Milentash Primary School is here to serve the local children and support the local community of Gbonko-Mayeami village in the Port Loko District, Sierra Leone.
We are excited to see how we can build and grow our school and contribution to this are of Sierra Leone.
Our next major projects and school focuses are as follows :
- Higher Levels of inclusive education, traditional and vocational for all pupils (male and female equally)
- More updated and newly constructed classrooms and outside areas for the pupils to play and learn.
- Raise funding for teachers salaries so we can offer more jobs to teachers and teaching assistants in the local area.
- Offer all pupils and teachers breakfast meals onsite to ensure the best start to the school day.
- Further development of our agricultural production of cash crops and animal rearing. This will also teach our pupils the importance of their local environment and maintaining natural habitats and wildlife.
- Provide school uniforms to all pupils to lift financial barriers to them learning and being apart of the Milentash school experience.
Demographic Health Survey (DHS) of 2008 shows that Port Loko is one of the most affected districts in terms of nutrition and food security.
The 2011 Comprehensive Food Security and Vulnerability Analysis (CFSVA) reported 71% of Port Loko population has been food insecure. (CFSVA indicated that there are likely several causes to food insecurity: poor agricultural production caused by poor access to inputs, credit, storage, and transportation) As mentioned in the earlier sub-section affects women in Sierra Leone of which Port Loko district of no exception.
Given women’s tendency to grow food crops as opposed to cash crops and to spend income on family food, training for women local food production and processing must be viewed as a key link in the chain to enhance nutrition and food security.
This comparative advantage is an important asset in changing peoples’ mindsets in order for them to shift from traditional farming methods to improved technology to maximize agricultural production and productivity
Please help and support us by making your own contribution to create more successes in Gbonkomayemi.
We are so grateful for the continued support and generosity from the local community and elders. We are excited to see how we can build and grow our school and contribution to this are of Sierra Leone. Without continued and growing support , it will be difficult to continue to help our pupils and community